Our plumbers in Virginia Beach and throughout Hampton Roads are often asked by customers how to eliminate four odors in their basement bathroom.
A foul odor is usually caused from sewer gas, which contains methane and bacteria. These gases can be dangerous to your health and cause headaches or more serious ailments. Even scarier, high concentrations of methane gas are combustible and can explode. If you live in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Tabb, Grafton, Smithfield, James City County, or elsewhere in Hampton Roads and notice this distinctive foul odor, do not ignore it.
You may need to call plumbers in Virginia Beach or throughout Hampton Roads, but before you do here is a simple Do-It-Yourself tip that may eliminate the problem quickly and at little or no expense at all.
- Every drain in your home sewer system should have a “p”- trap that is vented. These drains “trap” water and create a seal, or barrier, that will keep sewer gas out of your home. If one of these drains is rarely used, such as in a guest bathroom or the basement bathroom, the water creating the protective seal will eventually evaporate and cause allow an odor to pass up through the plumbing.
- Mix a vinegar and baking soda solution and pour it into the drain.
- Let it sit for 2 hours.
- Then pour boiling water down the drain followed with some bleach.
- Finish by running the hot water for 10 minutes from the faucet.
- If the problem persists, then it’s time to call a plumbing company.
More about our plumbers in Virginia Beach & Hampton Roads
Since 1987, A-1 Sewer & Drain Plumbing & Heating has consistently served the commercial and home plumbing needs of satisfied customers in Hampton Roads. With nearly 30 years of work to our credit, our plumbing company is extremely proud of its A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau. Our Class A Contractor plumbing company and it plumbers in Virginia Beach and throughout Hampton Roads have more than 260 years of combined plumbing and drain experience, which means we’ve seen it all – the good, the bad and the ugly – and will solve your plumbing problem with integrity and professionalism.
Our plumbers in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Tabb, Grafton, Smithfield, James City County, and throughout Hampton Roads serve home owners and commercial businesses.